Dr. K.K. Gopinathan MD, DGO
Dr. K.K. Gopinathan, started career in Government service and worked there for over 13 yrs at various Government Hospitals. Later established Edappal Hospitals Pvt Ltd in 1990 and served as the Chief Consultant and Director of the Hospital and now he is the Head of the Dept of OBG and Director of CIMAR. He has carried out more than 25,000 Laparoscopic Surgeries including sterilization. Recognized as the first Laparoscopic Surgeon of Kerala state Health Service and has supervised over 100,000 deliveries. He was the former State President of Kerala Association of Gynecological Endoscopist (KAGE), Federation of Obstetrics and Gynaecologist Societies of India (FOGSI) has recognized him as Laparoscopic trainer. He is the only person recognized in Malabar as trainer. National Board of examinations has recognized Dr K K Gopinath as trainer of DNB course which is equivalent to MD Gynecology.
Executive Director: Edappal Hospitals Pvt Ltd, Edappal.
Head of Dept of OBG & Unit Director: CIMAR EDAPPAL & CIMAR COCHIN
Course Director: DNB Programm
1978 M.D (Obstetrics & Gynaecology), Trivandrum Medical College, University Of Kerala, India
1977 D.G.O (Obstetrics & Gynaecology), Calicut Medical College, University Of Kerala, India
1974 M.B.B.S, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum, Karnataka University, India
Started with a humble beginning in 1990 as 25 bedded Hospital at Edappal, Malappuram District, Kerala which is now a multispecialty Hospital with more than 300 beds and 700 staff festooned with all specialties and key super specialties managed by eminent veterans in the field. The uniqueness of the hospital is Gynaecology & Obstetrics straddled with CIMAR, a center for Infertility management, which offers all state-of-the-art treatments in international standards available in the world. CIMAR (Centre for Infertility Management and Assisted Reproduction) is the centre behind 1st ICSI baby of North Kerala and 1st recombinant FSH baby of India.
CIMAR Fetomaternal unit commenced in 2000 as one of the first centers dedicated to Fetomaternal Medicine in Kerala with facilities for Genetic Lab, level 3 Ultrasound scanning and management of High Risk Pregnancies. This centre performed the First Intra-Uterine Fetal Transfusion in Kerala and has done the First Laser Assisted Embryo Biopsy and Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis for Embryo Selection and a live baby born through it in India. Now the hospital has started a new centre in Kochi named CIMAR COCHIN where even the latest facilities like IMSI (Intracytoplasmic Morphologically selected Sperm Injection), IVM (Invitro Maturation) etc are available.
CIMAR (Center for Infertility Management and Assisted Reproduction)
- Advanced ART (Assisted Reproductive Technique)
- ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection)
- IVM (InVitro Maturation)
- IMSI (Intracytoplasmic Morphologically selected Sperm Injection) – Second centre in India and the first one to have this system in the South India.
- Oocyte & Embryo Cryopreservation.
- All Laparoscopic Surgeries.
- Amniocentesis, CVS, Fetal Blood Sampling, Intra Uterine Blood Transfusion, all Fetal Reduction, Amnioreduction etc
- Level 3 USG Scanning for Fetal Anomalies, Fetal ECHO etc
- Combined Counseling with Obstetrician, Radiologist, Dysmorphologist, & Geneticist.
- All routine Karyotyping, and Prenatal Karyotyping, FISH, PCR for Y Deletion
- PGD – pre implantation genetic diagnosis CIMAR is the second institution in INDIA to do PGD and achieve a pregnancy during an ART cycle. This is the method by which one can diagnosis genetically abnormal embryos before it transferred to the mother it helps to improve the pregnancy rate and reduce the genetic anomaly.
CIMAR is the only one centre in the whole of India having all these facilities under one roof
From 1996 to till date about 30000 couples were counseled and treated. More than 10000 Laparoscopic Surgeries have been conducted in CIMAR, about 3000 ART treatment (IVF/ICSI) have been done in CIMAR.
A total of 7000 babies were born out of treatment form CIMAR which include more than 1000 ICSI babies.
- National Board Post Graduate training centre in OBG.
- FOGSI Recognized advanced infertility training centre.
- FOGSI Recognized laparoscopic training centre.
- FOGSI Recognized USG Training centre.
- Fellowship in Advanced Infertility Management
- BUSINESS WIZARD AWARD 2011 The Successful Entrepreneur, The India Today Group.
- GOAL MENTOR AWARD 2010 Contribution to Mentoring and Innovation in the Field of Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Infertility, Gynecology & Obstetrics Advanced Learning and Harward Medical School.
- GOLD MEDAL Best Paper Presentation “Laparoscopic Ovarian Wedge Resection” AKCOG 2005 & AICOG 2006.
- GOLD MEDAL Best Paper Presentation “Laparoscopic Sterilization in Post Partum, Patients An Overview” AKCOG 2001.
- FOGSI AWARD Federation of Gynaecological Society of India (FOGSI), Award for Best Infertility trainer in India for the year 2017.
President, ISAR (Kerala Chapter), Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction
President, (Former), KAGE (Kerala Association of Gynecological Endoscopist)
Organizing Chairperson, ISAR 2010, (15th Annual Congress of Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction)
Infertility Committee Chairman, KFOG (Kerala Federation of Obstetrics & Gynecology)
South Zone Coordinator, ISAR (Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction)
Member, ESHRE, European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology
Member, ASRM, American Society for Reproductive Medicine
Member, FOGSI, Federation of Obstetrics & Gynecology Society of India
Member, ISAR, Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction
Member, IAGE, Indian Association of Gynecological Endoscopist
Member, ISPAT, Indian Society of Prenatal Diagnosis & Therapy
Member, KFOG, Kerala Federation of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Regular Faculty on Several National & State level Conferences like
AICOG (All India Congress of Obstetrics & Gynecology)
ISAR Conferences (Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction)
IAGE Conferences (Indian Association of Gynecological Endoscopist)
Yuva FOGSI (Federation of Obstetrics & Gynecology Society of India)
DAKSHIN Conference AKCOG (All Kerala Congress of Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Indian Association of Fertility and Sterility first national congress – HORMONES AND HUMAN REPRODUCTION 1980
Several Society Meetings in all over India
- “Modern Management of Oliogospermia – An Overview” Current Practice in Obstetrics & Gynecology by Dr. Pankaj Desai.
- A Chapter on “Various Needle Injuries” Textbook on Complications in Gynecological Surgery by Shobhana M (FOGSI – Jaypee).
- PCOS Update 1 –Prevention of OHSS.
- “Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome” Asian Journal of Obs & Gynec Practice Vol-3, July September 2008.
- “Cabergolin – New Drug in O&G” TOGS Bulletin Volume-3, No: 1 April 2007.
- “How to Improve ART Results” COGS Bulletin (Cochin Obstetrics & Gynecological Society) Volume-1, June2005.
- “Prevention of Ovarian Hyper stimulation Syndrome” TOGS Bulletin (Thrissur Obstetrics & Gynecological Society) Volume-1, No: 4 June 2005.
- “Genetics & Male Infertility” KFOG Journal Volume-1, No: 4 February 2005.