Procedures in IVF Treatment
Embryo Transfer – IVF (Invitro Fertilisation) refers to a procedure where women’s egg are removed and fertilized with man’s sperm outside the body in the laboratory. The embryos thus formed are then put back into the uterus to achieve pregnancy. It is an outpatient procedure and requires 6-8 visits to the hospital.
1st visit – D2/D3 of cycle
- Blood for Hormonal Assay
- Complete haemogram and serology screening of both partners (if not done priorly)
2nd visit – Between D18-D21 (Third week of menses)
- Cervical Culture (swab taken from the mouth of uterus to check for any infection)
- Mock transfer A mock embryo transfer using the same transfer catheter is performed to check if it can be passed easily through the cervix so as to ensure easy transfer of embryos.
- Transvaginal ultrasound (baseline scan of uterus and ovaries to rule out any problem)
- Starting suppression injection (taken in 2 ways)
- Daily subcutaneous injections, same time every day
- Single intramuscular /subcutaneous injection
- Consent taken for IVF treatment
3rd visit – D2/D3 of next menses
- Blood test (Report to hospital by 11 AM to carry out any pending blood tests if needed)
- Transvaginal ultrasound
- Stimulation drugs started (if blood test results and TVS within normal limits)
- Stimulation drugs consist of injections which has to be started after 2 PM (1st dose preferrably to be taken in the hospital) at the same time daily,
- Next visit after 7 or 8 days.
Antibiotics x 5 days
- Hormonal Assay (Takes 1½ – 2 hrs for result
- Transvaginal ultrasound
- ECG and pre-anaesthetic check up
- Consultation (with TVS and hormonal assay) It takes on an average 10-12 days for the follicles to achieve adequate growth. Subsequent visits will be individualized accordingly.
Semen sample for freezing (reserve sample)
- Individualised Once follicles are adequate size, trigger injection has to be taken at the specified time
- Consent taken for Ovum Pick Up (OPU)
Ovum Pick Up
- Patient has to come empty stomach from 10 PM previous night
- Report at the clinic at specified time
- Procedure performed under GA
- Discharged after 4-5 hrs.
- Antibiotics for 5 days and progesterone tablets vaginally till day of embryo transfer and they need to continue other tablets which were already advised.
Fresh semen sample to be given for IVF/ICSI
Patient will be explained regarding the number of oozytes retrieved and number of embryos obtained. Consent will be taken for Embryo Transfer and freezing excess embryos if available. This procedure is performed generally without anaesthesia under trans-abdominal ultrasound guidance with full bladder. You will be observed 2-3 hours post embryo transfer and discharged after explaining the medicines required to be continued. Pregnancy is confirmed after 14 days of embryo transfer using a blood serum Beta HCG.
Statistics say that about eighty percent of the couple that approach for infertility treatment can be treated by counselling alone and it is only twenty percent of them that require some form of infertility treatment.
Infertility is not a disease but a condition where in a particular couple is not able to conceive. Infertility problems in a couple can be due to either the woman or the man, or it can be even due to problems in both ….
Infertility diagnosis is performed initially, by collecting complete medical history and physical examination. It will then followed by diagnostic tests for infertility. The common tests are urine tests, blood tests, …….
As the age increases the ovarian reserve (total no of eggs) in the ovary will significantly come down (especially after 33 years) and there seems to be issues in women like fibroid, endometriosis etc which ……
IVF Treatment Procedures
IVF (Invitro Fertilisation) refers to a procedure where women’s egg are removed and fertilized with man’s sperm outside the body in the laboratory. The embryos thus formed are then put back into the uterus ….
Intra Uterine Insemination
IUI and AI are one and the same fertility treatment. A small tube is used to place specially washed sperm directly into the uterus. While fertility drugs are not always used during IUI, most doctors ……
While every fertility clinic’s IVF protocol will be slightly different and IVF treatment are adjusted for a couple’s individual needs, here is a step-by-step breakdown of what generally takes place during an ……
With ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS), though, the ovaries become dangerously enlarged with fluid. This fluid can leak in to the belly and chest area, leading to complications. If your doctor …..
Female infertility include problems with ovulation, damage to fallopian tubes or uterus or problems with cervix. Age is another major issue that contribute to infertility because when a women ages, her fertility …….
The objective of the fertility treatment is optimization of outcome with minimization is opting of risk. A flexible dosing during stimulation is essential for optimizing the cycle outcome.
Ovulation analysis is the process by which the fertility is assessed to find the fertile window and general assessment. Various methods exist for ovulation testing. Various methods exist for ovulation testing.
It is used to know whether the fallopian tubes of the patient are blocked and whether blockage is at the junction of tube of uterus (proximal) or at the distal end. Radiographic contrast dye is …….
Cryopreserving agents that minimize damage to the cells during freezing and thawing process. Semen cryopreservation also called sperm banking is a procedure to preserve sperm cells.
Transvaginal sonography is one of the indispensable investigation as far as infertility patient is concerned. It is non-invasive and the single test that parallels to clinical assessment. Assessing the …..
As the women gets older the incidence of chromosomally abnormal eggs increases dramatically. The mecoha spindle is a critical component of eggs that is involved in organising the chromosome ….
All the macroscopic parameters in semen analysis, denote the functional capacity of the necessary male organs namely seminal vesicles, prostate and whether or if the whole tract from testes to the …..
In general, semen analysis, hysterosalpingogram, assessment of ovulation and ovarian reserve should be the initial investigations and if no cause of infertility found, laparoscopy should be done.
Anything that effect the hypothalamus pituitary endocrine system which regulates the sperm production can be detrimental. There are also a wide variety of physical problems like varicocele, ……
Infertility Specialty Doctors
Ask a Doctor
You can ask a doctor regarding your treatment queries. Type in your name, email address, your message to a doctor and click ‘Submit’ button.